The House at Bridge of Lochay dates back to 1765 where it originally was a coaching inn beside the old Toll at Lochay Bridge.
Over the years the building was added to and extended to the point where it now retains all the character and many original features, whilst offering all the modern comforts that todays guests have some to expect.
For the 250th Anniversary celebrations of the building we spent time researching locally and at the National Library of Scotland for any information on previous owners, stories and pictures. We unearthed a number of interesting pieces which are on display in our Birthday Album in the lounge. Every year we continue to find or are sent items which are of great value to the ‘story’ of the building and we keep adding to this.
There are still many original features available to see in the hotel, some of which you can see in our photo gallery. For example the original stone marking the origin of the building in 1765 is just outside the front door. There is also the original old fashioned ‘bell system’ for each room (there were a great many more bedrooms and no en suite bathrooms in those days) just inside the entrance hall.
For movie buffs - the first of the 39 Steps films, made in 1935 (based on the 1915 John Buchan novel and starring Robert Donat) - features the hotel and part of the film was actually filmed in the hotel. Previous owners were the parents of Scottish Film Actress.
The history of the building and it’s importance locally is not lost on us and will always be cherished.
Best room rates are always available by booking direct with us.